How’s your water bill this month? Has it suddenly skyrocketed? As a homeowner, part of your responsibility is to monitor your water bill for any signs of leaks in your plumbing. If you haven’t been using a lot of your plumbing appliances and fixtures, and your water bill is suddenly higher, please don’t ignore it as that usually indicates a leak in your plumbing. We highly suggest you get in touch with a plumber right away to further investigate.
What to Do When the Water Bill Has Skyrocketed
Below are the things you need to do when you notice a spike in your water bill. If you have questions or clarifications, please call a plumber today.
- Check for any signs of leaks. Inspect your water heater, plumbing pipes, washing machine, dishwasher, sump pump (if you have any), garbage disposal and other fixtures. Look for any signs of leaks such as pooling water near the fixture. If you see any and you suspect it might be a leak, call a plumber right away to further investigate the situation. Don’t forget to also check for any signs of hidden leaks such as bulging wallpapers or water spots you see on the walls or in the basement. Never ignore hidden leaks for they might suddenly turn into a major plumbing emergency that will cost you a lot in repairs. Call a plumber right away for professional leak detection. Our plumbing experts are equipped with the right tools to help us locate the leak and resolve it for you.
- Do a water meter test. It’s easy to do this but make sure no one else uses your faucet or shower. Check for the water meter reading and wait for about 15 minutes to do another reading. Compare the second result with the first one and contact a plumber if the results have changed as that indicates a leak in your plumbing. A plumbing expert should be able to help you locate the leak and fix whatever needs to be addressed in your plumbing.
- Check your home’s water pressure levels. Do you have a water pressure gauge at home? Use it to check for your home’s water pressure levels. The result must be within the normal range of 40-60 PSI. Call a professional if the water pressure is that likely indicates a leak especially when you have low water pressure in all your plumbing fixtures.
- Listen to the pipes. Do your pipes make strange noises? That can indicate a leak in your plumbing. Call a plumber right away so they can properly check on it.
- Get professional leak detection. If you don’t have the time to do all the things above, call a plumber asap to find out if there are leaks in your plumbing. You don’t have to worry though, for a plumbing expert can accurately locate the leak and recommend the most cost-effective solutions.
One thing you need to remember: never neglect your plumbing because a plumbing emergency can cost you a fortune in replacements and repairs. Thankfully, you can avoid this by being mindful of your plumbing and by getting routine plumbing inspections. During the appointment, a plumber can thoroughly check your entire plumbing for any signs of problems and he will do his best to resolve the problem as soon as possible.
You can prevent a costly plumbing repair by getting a regular plumbing inspection and by taking care of your plumbing. How about making a list of appliances or fixtures you need to check every week or every month? This should help you better monitor your plumbing system. If you need further assistance, you can always get in touch with us.
How to Prevent Plumbing Leaks
Now that you already know how to determine if there are leaks in your plumbing, the next step is knowing how to prevent leaks. Check out some of our tips below:
- Get routine plumbing inspections. We’ve already mentioned this but this one bears repeating. Hire a licensed professional to inspect your plumbing and ensure it’s in excellent shape. Don’t forget to also ask the plumbing expert to check on your water heater as well. He needs to make sure the heating elements of your water heater are in good condition and your water is clean and not contaminated.
- Have a plumbing company’s information on hand. In case there are emergencies, make sure you have the contact number of the plumbing company you trust. Choose a plumbing company that offers emergency services so that you can call them at any time even during the holidays or in the wee hours. Also, make sure they offer a wide range of services so that you won’t have to keep calling different professionals.
- Take care of your plumbing pipes and appliances. Protect your pipes at all times by insulating them and by getting a professional drain cleaning service. If you have older pipes or still have galvanized pipes installed, consider replacing that with modern piping that is less susceptible to damage and rust. Be careful with high water pressure and clogs for they can damage the pipes. Never use chemical-based drain cleaners when unclogging a drain because they can destroy your pipes.
Contact bluefrog Home Services of New Orleans Today
Looking for a plumber? You’ve come to the right place. We are a plumbing company that specializes in helping homeowners and businesses with any plumbing repair or installation. We can also help with drain cleaning and professional leak detection. Call us anytime if you suspect a problem with your plumbing and we will be there to give you an accurate diagnosis along with permanent and cost-effective plumbing solutions.
If you’re looking for a trustworthy professional, call bluefrog Home Services of New Orleans today for an appointment.
See our previous blog on this topic here.