4 Issues That Require Help From An AC Repair Professional | Harvey, LA
Summers in Harvey, LA, are very hot. On most days, the temperature reaches 90 degrees or higher, and most people spend more time in their air-conditioned homes to escape the heat.
If your air conditioner isn’t working correctly, you won’t have a place to escape the heat. When it’s 90+ degrees outside, the temperature in your house can reach 120 degrees without air conditioning, which is dangerously hot, significantly increasing the risk of heat-related conditions.
If your air conditioner experiences any of the following problems, it’s best to call a professional in AC repair right away.
#1 The AC Produces Warm Air
You should feel cold air when standing in front of the vents in your Harvey, TX home when the AC runs. If you feel warm air, you may need to call an AC repair service. Before making the call, go through the checklist below. Some issues don’t require help from a professional, and the checklist will avoid an unnecessary service call.
- Make sure the thermostat is set to the cooling mode.
- Make sure the fan is set to auto. If you leave the fan on all the time, it will keep running when the system cycles, and you’ll feel warm air coming from the vents.
- Make sure the temperature inside is warmer than the setting on the thermostat.
- Check the air filter. If you haven’t replaced it in a while, the dirt and debris will prevent adequate airflow, causing the unit to overheat.
If you’ve done everything on the checklist and the unit continues to produce warm air, it’s time to call a professional in air conditioner repairs. A few issues can prevent the unit from making cold air, including:
- Frozen evaporator coils
- Refrigerant leak
- Faulty compressor
After a thorough inspection, an HVAC professional can determine what is causing the problem and nd make the necessary repair.
#2 Foul Odors
The air conditioner in your Harvey, LA home should produce clean, odorless, cold air. If you smell something strange when the AC runs, you may need to schedule an appointment for AC repair.
A dusty smell the first time you use the air conditioner during the cooling season isn’t a cause for concern. Dust can accumulate in the unit when it’s not in use, which will burn off quickly, and the odor should subside within a few minutes.
Any other strange smells require a call to a professional in AC repair.
- Mold: A moldy smell shouldn’t be ignored because it indicates mold growth somewhere in the system. When the unit runs, mold spores can circulate in the air and is hazardous to your family’s health. Mold exposure can cause various health issues, such as allergy symptoms, respiratory problems, skin rashes, chronic headaches, and burning eyes, nose, and throat. In addition, mold exposure can weaken your immune system, making it harder for your body to fight off disease and infection.
The most common place for mold growth is the air ducts. The ducts are dark, and when it gets humid in the home, condensation will form in the ducts, creating the perfect breeding ground for mold. Fortunately, a professional in air conditioning repairs can easily eradicate the mold using an antimicrobial fogger.
If the air ducts are clean, the mold is likely in the air conditioner, which is more challenging to eradicate. This often occurs if you don’t have the system maintained regularly, and if the tech cannot eliminate the mold, you’ll have to replace the air conditioner.
- Burning: A burning smell indicates an electrical issue, and the odor occurs when the wire covering melts. Electrical problems cause electrical fires, and the burning smell should not be ignored.
A professional in AC repair can repair the problem, keeping your home and family safe.
#3 Poor Airflow
If you don’t feel a powerful rush of cold air when the air conditioner in your Harvey, TX home runs, you should call an AC repair service right away. Poor airflow will make it challenging to keep your home cool, and the air conditioner will have to work harder, causing your energy bills to increase. The extra work will strain the unit, reducing its maximum lifespan.
A few issues can restrict the airflow, including:
- Clogged air ducts: The air ducts deliver the cold or hot air from the unit to every vent in your home. Over time, dirt, dust, pet dander, and other debris can accumulate in the air ducts, blocking the airflow.
An AC repair company can send a tech to clean the air ducts, restoring adequate airflow.
- Damaged air ducts: If the ducts are damaged, the cold air will escape from the damaged area before it reaches the vents, causing inadequate airflow. An HVAC tech can fix the air ducts and seal them up, ensuring the cold air doesn’t escape, and the airflow will be restored.
- Faulty blower: The blower forces the cold or warm air from the unit through the ducts and to the vents, and there will be minimal airflow if the blower isn’t doing its job.
An HVAC tech can repair or replace the blower, restoring the airflow.
#4 Fluid Pooling
Fluid pooling around the unit indicates a refrigerant leak. This is a serious problem because the unit cannot produce cold air without an adequate amount of refrigerant. Leaks occur when acid eats away at the metal, causing tiny cracks, allowing the refrigerant to leak.
An AC repair professional can fix the leak and refill the unit. If your air conditioner was installed before 2010, it uses R-22 refrigerant, which was banned in 2020, and you’ll need to replace the air conditioner.
Call bluefrog Home Services Of New Orleans Today
If you need to schedule an appointment for AC repair, call bluefrog Home Services of New Orleans. We are a full-service plumbing and HVAC company serving customers in the New Orleans, LA area.
We are members of the Plumbing Heating Cooling Contractors Association and the New Orleans Chamber of Commerce. Our company has an excellent reputation in the community, and we have a 5*-star rating on Google. In addition, our company is an Accredited Business with the better Business Bureau and has an A+ rating.
To schedule an appointment for AC repair or any other plumbing or HVAC service we provide, give us at bluefrog Home Services of New Orleans a call or book online.