6 Signs It Is Time To Call An AC Repair Company | Harvey, LA
Photo By Red Stock at Shutterstock
You rely on every system and appliance in your Harvey, LA home to make your life easier and more convenient. Every appliance and system in your home is essential, and when spring ends and the temperature outdoors reaches 90 degrees, your air conditioner becomes your most essential system. If your air conditioner isn’t functioning properly, it will be impossible for your family to stay cool and comfortable during the hottest time of the year.
Unfortunately, there are many air conditioning issues that you cannot prevent. Issues can arise at any time, and when there is an issue with your air conditioner, it can be difficult for the system to keep your home cool.
Fortunately, you can prevent a complete air conditioner breakdown if you can recognize the early signs. If you call an AC repair company early, you could prevent a minor issue from becoming a major one.
If the air conditioner in your home is experiencing any of the following issues, you should call an AC repair company as soon as possible.
#1 Strange Sounds
A properly functioning air conditioner should not make much noise. At most, you will hear a quiet click when the system turns on and off. Any other strange sounds signify an issue that should be checked by a tech from an AC repair company. Different sounds signify different issues.
- Banging: A banging sound can signify one of a few things. The most common and easy to repair issue is a loose part. As your air conditioner gets older, it is not uncommon for parts in the compressor to come loose and rattle around. The banging sound can also occur if the compressor is failing, which is a more complex and expensive repair.
- Buzzing: A loud buzzing sound often indicates an electrical issue that should not be ignored. The issue could be the circuit breaker, loose wiring, or an electrical issue with the fan motor. Electrical repairs can be very dangerous; therefore, it is best to call an AC repair company to make the necessary repair.
- Screeching: If you hear a screeching sound when your air conditioner first kicks on, it signifies high-pressure levels in the compressor and can be very dangerous if you allow the system to keep running. It is best to turn off the air conditioner immediately and call an AC repair company.
- Hissing: A hissing sound often signifies a refrigerant leak, which is a serious problem. Refrigerant is dangerous and harmful to your health; therefore, you should have your system checked by a professional immediately. In addition, if there is refrigerant leaking from the system, there won’t be enough left for your air conditioner to function at peak performance.
If you hear any strange sounds coming from the air conditioner in your home, it is best to have the system checked by an AC repair company as quickly as possible. The longer you wait, the more damage can occur.
#2 Strange Smells
You shouldn’t smell anything strange when your air conditioner is running. When you turn the system on for the first time during the cooling season, it is not common for the system to emit a musty smell. After a few minutes, the smell will dissipate. If you smell any strange smells that linger, you should call an AC repair company.
- Mold: A moldy smell is a serious cause for concern. The air ducts in your home are dark, and condensation can form in the ducts, creating the perfect breeding ground for mold. Mold in the air ducts is a serious issue. When your air conditioner is running, the mold spores in the air ducts will circulate in the air your family breathes, which can cause health complications. Breathing in mold can cause allergy symptoms, respiratory issues, and a weakened immune system. If a family member has a chronic lung or respiratory issue, breathing in mold spores will worsen their symptoms and condition.
If there is mold in the air ducts, an HVAC tech can use an antimicrobial fogger to eradicate the mold and prevent mold growth in the future.
If the air ducts are clear, there could be mold in the air conditioner, which is a more serious issue. If the HVAC tech cannot remove the mold, you will need to have your system replaced to ensure healthy air quality in your home.
- Burning: A burning smell is a major cause for concern. This often signifies an electrical issue that can result in an electrical fire that can destroy your entire home. It is best to turn off the system as soon as you discover the smell and call an HVAC tech.
It is best to call an AC repair company as soon as you notice a strange smell.
#3 Reduced Airflow
If you aren’t getting adequate airflow from the vents in your Harvey, LA home, it will be difficult for your air conditioner to keep your home cool. There are a few causes of poor airflow, and it is best to have an AC repair company figure out what is causing the problem and make the necessary repair.
- Clogged air ducts: Regardless of how often you clean your house, dirt, dust, pet dander, and other debris will end up in the air ducts. If you don’t have your air ducts cleaned regularly, over five pounds of debris can build up in one year. Debris can obstruct the air ducts, preventing adequate airflow. Clogged air ducts will do more harm than just restricting the airflow coming from the vents. Inadequate airflow will cause your air conditioner to work harder to keep your home cool, which will cause an increase in your energy bills. In addition, this excess work can reduce your system’s maximum lifespan.
Clogged air ducts can also be harmful to your family’s health. When your system is running, the debris in the air ducts will circulate through the air your family breathes, which can cause allergy symptoms.
- Leaky air ducts: A leak in the air ducts can result in poor airflow. The cool air will escape through the leak, and your system will have to work overtime to keep your home cool and comfortable.
- Faulty blower: The blower is responsible for pushing the cold air from the air conditioner through the air ducts and out the vents. If the blower isn’t working properly, you won’t get enough airflow to cool your home.
- Frozen evaporator coil: If the evaporator coils freeze, it will block the air that passes over the coil and into the air ducts. Dirt on the evaporator coils, a dirty air filter, a blocked return vent, or a refrigerant leak can cause the evaporator coil to freeze and should be checked by an AC repair company.
Because poor airflow can make it difficult to cool your home and could be affecting your family’s health, it is best to call an AC repair company right away.
#4 Warm Air Coming From the Vents
The most obvious sign that you need to call an AC repair company is if there is warm air coming from the vents. Before you make the call, you should make sure that the thermostat is set correctly. First, make sure the thermostat is set to the cooling mode. If it isn’t, the system won’t produce cold air. Next, check the temperature setting. If it isn’t warmer in the house than the setting on the thermostat, the system won’t kick on.
If the thermostat is set correctly, you will need to have the system checked by a professional. A few issues can cause this problem, and it will take an HVAC tech from a licensed AC repair company to figure out which one is causing the problem.
- The outdoor unit lost power: If the outdoor unit isn’t running, the system won’t produce cold air.
- Dirty evaporator coils: Dirty evaporator coils can make it difficult for the air to pass over the evaporator coil, which is essential for your system to produce cold air.
- Low refrigerant: If there isn’t enough refrigerant in your air conditioner, it won’t be able to produce cold air.
It is best to call an AC repair company as soon as you discover the problem. The longer you wait, the more difficult it will be to be cool and comfortable in your home.
If you see any moisture or water pooling around your air conditioner, you should call an AC repair company immediately. There are a couple of issues that could be causing moisture or liquid to pool around the air conditioner in your Harvey, LA home.
- Condensate hose: If the condensate hose is loose, cracked, or disconnected, it will leak around the air conditioner. Fortunately, this is a relatively simple and inexpensive issue to repair.
- Refrigerant leak: A refrigerant leak is much more serious. Refrigerant is harmful to humans, and if there isn’t enough refrigerant in the system, it won’t function properly.
- If your air conditioner is over 10 years old and there is a refrigerant leak, it likely uses R-22 refrigerant. R-22 is toxic and harmful to the environment, and it has been banned. Your HVAC tech won’t be able to refill the system with R-22; therefore, an air conditioner replacement will be necessary.
Any moisture around the air conditioner is a major cause for concern; therefore, you should call an AC repair company as soon as you discover the moisture.
#6 Faulty Thermostat
The thermostat is your Harvey, LA home is your HVAC system’s command center. It allows you to turn the system on and off and change the temperature in your home. If the thermostat isn’t functioning properly, it will be impossible for your air conditioner to function properly.
There are a few signs that will let you know your thermostat isn’t working.
- The thermostat is unresponsive, and you have tried replacing the batteries.
- The system won’t turn on.
- The system kicks on and off frequently.
If you suspect that your thermostat isn’t working properly, you should call an AC repair company to have the thermostat replaced. You can also discuss your options. Thermostat technology is always evolving, and there are thermostats available that can help you save money on your energy bills.
- Programmable thermostats can be set to adjust the temperature in your Harvey, LA home based on when you are home and when you aren’t.
- Wi-Fi thermostats can be controlled using your smartphone or tablet from anywhere in the world as long as you have an internet connection.
- Smart thermostats work with smart home hubs such as Google Home and Amazon Alexa, and you can control the thermostat using the sound of your voice. If you aren’t home, you can use the home hub’s app to control the thermostat remotely.
It is best to call an AC repair company as soon as you suspect your thermostat is faulty.
Why Choose Metro Plumbing, Heating & Air?
If you have an issue with the air conditioner in your Harvey, LA home and want to work with the best AC repair company in the business, schedule an appointment with Metro Plumbing, Heating & Air. We are a family-owned company that has been serving customers in the area since 1989 and have an excellent reputation.
We are an Accredited Member of the Better Business Bureau and have a 5-star rating on Google. In addition, Home Advisor lists us as a Top Rated company.
We are more than an air conditioning service company. We also work with heating systems, plumbing, and septic systems.
We have been in this business long enough to know that air conditioning issues can begin during the hottest time of the year. The comfort of you and your family is important to us, which is why we offer emergency service 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We will do our best to get an HVAC tech to your home as quickly as possible to get your system up and running properly again.
To schedule an appointment to have your air conditioner repaired or for any other service we provide, give us at bluefrog Home Services of New Orleans a call today.