10 Practical Plumber Tips To Help Reduce Water Consumption And Save Money | New Orleans, LA
Photo By Ivan Bajic at istock
Conserving water doesn’t only lower your utility bills, it also reduces the energy needed to deliver the water to homes or businesses, which helps the environment in return. Read this article if you want to conserve water and save money on your utility bills every month — we’ll talk about the many ways to help you achieve this. If you have questions, please contact a plumber in New Orleans, LA.
Tips for Conserving Water:
- Consider cutting your shower time in half or investing in low-flow showerheads to reduce your water consumption. The flow rate of an average showerhead is about two gallons per minute, and cutting two or three minutes off your shower time can save hundreds of gallons of water in a year. You get to save even more by replacing regular showerheads with water-efficient ones. Look for showerheads with WaterSense labels as these fixtures are designed to conserve more water. To ensure correct installation, please hire a licensed plumber only. Poor installation can lead to leaks and more issues with your plumbing.
- Avoid using the bathtub — opt for the shower instead to conserve more water. Remember, the bathtub consumes more gallons of water than the shower. You get significant savings by opting for the shower over the bathtub. Should you decide to install a tub, consider getting a smaller one to conserve water. Also, you don’t have to fill it up as you’ll only be wasting more water.
- Are you still using old washing machines? Consider getting an energy-efficient washer as it only uses about 23 gallons per load instead of older washers that use up to 40 gallons of water per load. Another benefit of buying high-efficient washers is that they are more efficient when cleaning your clothes. That means there’s no need to run another cycle if the first one doesn’t efficiently clean all your clothes. In addition, consider installing stainless steel braided hoses to avoid leaks. For installing new washers, please make sure that you only hire licensed plumbers.
- Run the dishwasher only on full loads to avoid wasting energy and water. Also, there’s no need to do pre-rinsing of your dishes. Instead, scrape off the food before placing them in the dishwasher for efficient cleaning. Make sure that you also don’t overload the dishwasher, as you might end up running another cycle.
- Invest in energy-efficient dishwashers to save more water. High-efficient dishwashers only use about 3.5 gallons of water compared to regular dishwashers that use up to 6 gallons. And please make sure that you know how to properly use the unit to avoid repairs and other issues down the road. Read the manufacturer’s manual and contact a plumber in New Orleans, LA, if you have more questions. If you have just moved into a new home, don’t buy a large dishwasher if you live alone as you’ll end up consuming more water. If possible, wash the dishes by hand for more water savings.
- If you have a water heater tank, ensure that you remove the sediment buildup by flushing it at least once a year. You may need to do it more than annually if there is a higher concentration of hard water in your plumbing. Sediment buildup can damage your water heater and lead to leaks. You’re not only wasting water, but you’ll be spending more money on repairs and replacements. You may also consider investing in tankless water heaters to reduce leaks.
- Never ignore leaks in your plumbing, especially toilet and faucet leaks, to avoid wasting hundreds of gallons of water. Some homeowners don’t address toilet leaks, thinking they would go away on their own. They won’t — instead, you’ll end up with a skyrocketing water bill. Contact a plumber immediately to help you fix the leaks. If you’re not sure there are leaks in the toilet, pour some food coloring in the toilet tank and wait for about 15 minutes. Check the toilet bowl if it changes color. There is a toilet leak when the color in the toilet changes. Please reach out to a plumber in New Orleans, LA, right away for assistance.
- Invest in water-efficient plumbing fixtures and appliances to conserve water and save money. If you’re not sure what to purchase for your home, contact one of our plumbers so we can help. You can conserve water with dual flush toilets and energy-efficient washers, dishwashers and water heaters. Please only hire licensed plumbing company in your area to ensure the appliances are properly installed.
- Water the lawn in the morning when it’s not too hot yet to avoid wasting water. Also, consider installing rain barrels to catch rainwater and save money. If you have a swimming pool, ensure that you cover them to avoid losing water.
- Install leak detection devices to avoid flooding in your home. These devices can detect water fluctuations and determine the exact location of the leak. They can also automatically shut off the main water to avoid further damage to your plumbing. You can conserve water and prevent costly plumbing repairs when a leak is detected as it happens. Remember, water damage can be costly, and it can also damage your home’s foundation. You can avoid this by taking extra precautions. Contact a plumber today to install a leak detection device for your home.
Call bluefrog Home Services of New Orleans
Do you need plumbing services today? We have a team of expert and licensed plumbers that go the extra mile to ensure customers are delighted with our service. In addition, our plumbing truck is fully equipped to resolve the problem on the same day. You can always rely on us, for we are a trusted plumbing company in the area. We have been helping out homeowners and businesses for several years and have consistently provided unparalleled plumbing service.
Contact us for any plumbing repairs, installations, and maintenance. If you need emergency service, we are available 24/7. Get in touch with us today for an appointment!